Shalom Etz Yoseph member!
The year of 2014 passed by and we wanted to thank you for your collaboration in the project of searching for the tribes of Israel. Also we desire to give you an update of where we are standing at the present time and the plans for 2015.
It has been 4 years in this search, which is like 0.004 days for the Lord as Moshe and Peter tells us that for the Lord 1,000 year is like 1 day. Also in genetic genealogy, which is a relative new science, this is a very short time in this quest.
Psalm 90:4 (Moses)
4 For a thousand years in Your sight Are like yesterday when it is past, And like a watch in the night.
2 Peter 3:8 (Peter)
8 But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.
We are impatient humans and I for one wish that by now, we should know the answer, but we do not know yet…So we keep on working, looking and trusting that the Lord will establish the work of our hands.
17 And let the beauty of the Lord our God be upon us, And establish the work of our hands for us; Yes, establish the work of our hand
So what have we learned in these four years?
1) Y-chromosome DNA is still the way to go to find the 12 patriarchs of The Tribes of Israel. Mitochondrial DNA only gives us information through the female line and no doubt the founders were men. Autosomal DNA (the other 22 pair of Chromosomes) can help with family finders for a few generations back.
2) The Single Nucleotide polymorphisms in the Y-chromosome are a plethora of different genetic markers and even though the geneticists estimate of 2,000-5,000 years for an SNP to form, their genetic mutation rate calculation do not make sense. There is 1 SNP every 300 letters (bases) so in the y-chromosome we have about 12,000 SNP. Many of them are equivalent to others, so we do not have 12,000 Y-Chromosome haplogroups.
SNP MUTATIONS ARE 1 PER 10 TO THE 8TH GENERATION
STR MUTATIONS ARE 1 PER 10 TO THE 2ND GENERATION
For example group J2 has 32 subdivisions. If it took 3,000 year as an average for each point mutation (SNP) to go from J2 to J2b2a1a1, and there are 7 SNPs between the two, then it would be a 7×3000= 21,000 year difference and no chance that J2b2a1a1 would be a descendant of Jacob if he was J2. Since Jacob only lived about 4,000 years ago.
The International Association of Genetic Genealogy Y-chromosome ( IAOGG) J2 Chart:
J2 M172/Page28/PF4908, L228/PF4895/S321
• • J2a M410, L152, L212/PF4988, L559/PF4986
• • J2b L282, M12, M102, M221, M314/PF4939
• • J2b* -
• • • • • • • J2b2a1a1 Z631, Z639 ( count the digits up to J2 and there are 7 different SNPs). When we see several SNPs in one line, determining a Haplogroup like J2a, it just means that those SNPs are “equivalent” meaning the presence of any of those SNP will determine the branch J2a. Different labs have named the same SNP with their own name, and this makes it confusing…like Stanford University they always start with the letter M and the number is the order in which it was discovered…. For example J2 is determined by the SNP called J2 which is a substitution of the base nucleotide “T” for a “G”.
In SNP M410 the Substitution is A for G, and in L152 the substitution is C for a T, but both M410 and L152 are equivalent and determine the same branch: J2a
Etz Yoseph project looks in the Diaspora for the descendants of the 12 tribes of Israel through Genealogy and DNA.
In the Genealogy part, it is of upmost importance to see the members that have the blessing given to the 12 sons of Israel by Jacob in Genesis 48-49 and by Moses in Deuteronomy 33…Almighty God said that the blessings will overflow us if we obey the voice of God (Deuteronomy 28:2)…So we think that paying a close look to these blessings exhibit in the believers of 2015 will help us accomplish the purpose stated, of finding among us the 12 tribes of Israel, as the Israelites have been dispersed, once and again throughout the world and mixed with the gentile to the point of no recognition (Hosea 7:8). It resonates in my mind what my husband says: “Most everyone living on earth has a drop of blood from Ya’acov.”
So why do it?
1) The Lord said at the end times he will bring back the Israelites to the Land of Israel (Deuteronomy 30:3;Isaiah 43:5-11, Jeremiah 30:3, Jeremiah 32:37, Jeremiah 50:19, Ezekiel 39:25, Joel 3:1,Amos 9:14, Zephaniah 3:20, Zechariah 8:8)…Furthermore, He said that before the return of the Messiah there will be 12,000 people from each tribe (Revelation 7), meaning that they are identified, right?… for a total of 144,000 people identified for each of the 12 tribes of Israel… And they will be on Earth with Messiah…Additionally; the Bible continues and says that the 144,000 will be following the Lamb…:
Revelation 14:1 Then I looked, and there before me was the Lamb, standing on Mount Zion, and with him 144,000 who had his name and his Father’s name written on their foreheads… 4 These are those who did not defile themselves with women, for they kept themselves pure. They follow the Lamb wherever he goes.They were purchased from among men and offered as firstfruits to God and the Lamb. 5 No lie was found in their mouths; they are blameless
2) The Lord has in His Word encouraged man to be His partner in His work, like sending the Israelites to tell everyone the great things that He has done (David in 1 Chronicles 16:8 ,Matthew 28:19-20, and Acts 1:8 as a few examples). God usually does not intervene until man has tried 100% of what he can do. For example in the Gospel of John during the resurrection of Lazarus, Yeshua tells the men to remove the stone (John 11:39), even though Yeshua could just have done it Himself, and only Yeshua does what man cannot do, which in this case, is to resurrect Lazarus and told him “Come out” (John 11:43). Immediately as man can remove the linen wrapped around Lazarus and the cloth from his face, Yeshua tells the men to do it…So God’s plan appears to be that He does not do what men can do themselves.
3) The Lord made DNA that has all the instructions on how to make a man. But also contain these mutations in the genes of the Y-chromosome that are worthless to tell that man how to function. Also these “glitches” are DIFFERENT from man to man according to what part of the world he comes from… Whether from Asia, Africa, Europe, the Middle East, or America the glitches are “typical” of that continent…At the same time these are IDENTICAL from father to son for many generations, we are talking for thousands of years the ”glitches” are inherited exactly alike from father to son. We can call the glitches genetic mutations; Short tandem repeats (STR) or Single Nucleotide Polymorphism (SNP) in genetic lingo.
When we put together 1, 2 and 3…We realize that there is a purpose for these genetic mutations in the Y-Chromosome and they may just serve the purpose of helping us to identify the 12 tribes of Israel.
So Etz Yoseph was born FOUR years ago and this is what we have found:
1) Out of the 20 main subdivisions of the Y Chromosome the living Jews are most commonly found in J2, in a lesser number in E, even less in R1b, R1a, G, Q,T and I . Geneticists feel that probably the Jews representing the Israelites are probably “J” and the other 7 groups are converts to Judaism from the Egyptians in the Exodus to the present day converts.
2) A second opinion is that the genetic mutation rates calculations are flawed. They are only theories after all, and that there is the possibility of having different Y-haplogroups all coming from Ya’acov as multiple mutations which could have happened in Ya’akov’s spermatogonia before the conception of the 12 sons of Israel.
Both are theories but what is undeniable is that the most common Y-haplogroup among the Jews of the 21th centuries is J2.So we have two theories regarding the y-chromosome haplogroups of the biological descendants of Yaakov, taking into account the distribution in 2015. The distribution has not changed, whether we do DNA tests on Jews from Portugal, Cuba, Russia,Europe, Asia, USA, Africa, Israel, etc the most common Y-Haplogroup are haplogroup “J1 and J2”… Second Y-Haplogroup E follows, making between the J and E more than 55% of the Haplogroups among the Jews living today.
See diagram below. First the Old way to designate the Y-Haplogroups, followed by the new lingo, the sceince does not change.
Theory # I, a deeper look:
Some of the eight different Y-chromosome haplogroups J, E, R1b, R1a, G, Q, T, I come from Ya’acov, as there were multiple mutations in his single nucleotide polymorphism or SNPs in his spermatogonia before his 12 sons were made. Geneticists do not agree as they stated that all of the 12 sons of Ya’acov have to be from the same Y- chromosome haplogroup, since it takes about 3,000+ year for an SNP mutation to occur, there is not enough time between Ya’acov and his sons for the mutations to occur.
Another point to which population geneticists object is the question: which of the eight Y-Haplogroup found among the Jews belonged to the gentiles that converted to Judaism in the past? Starting with the multitude of the Exodus and the several dispersions that ensued since the 10 Northern tribes of Israel were dispersed in 2,800 BC, the Babylonian exile, the Greek exile, the Roman exile etc…In each of them some of the Jews mixed with the gentiles to the point that the Israelites were not able to be recognized from the gentile population.
So they figured that Y-Chromosome haplogroup “ J” is Ya’acov since it is the most common among the Jews, The E are probably from the Egyptians that came in the multitudes of the Exodus, the R1b from the Israelites rendezvous with western Europe, and R1a from their interaction with the Eastern Europe and central Asia and so on.
Genetic mutation rates can occur faster or slower depending on the environment, that is heat, cold, magnetic exposure, radiation, drought etc.
Ya’acov had an encounter with God before he had children in Genesis where he may have been exposed to a lot of radiation where the mutations in his Y-DNA may have occurred. Remember how Moses had to cover his face after each encounter with God because his face irradiated light to such intensity that Moses had to cover his face?
- EXODUS 34:30 So when Aaron and all the children of Israel saw Moses, behold, the skin of his face shone, and they were afraid to come near him.
- EXODUS 34:33 And when Moses had finished speaking with them, he put a veil on his face.
Well something similar to that is what the result in Ya’acov sperms might have been after his encounter with the door to heaven as he describes it in Genesis28:
10 Now Jacob went out from Beersheba and went toward Haran.
11 So he came to a certain place and stayed there all night, because the sun had set. And he took one of the stones of that place and put it at his head, and he lay down in that place to sleep.
12 Then he dreamed, and behold, a ladder was set up on the earth, and its top reached to heaven; and there the angels of God were ascending and descending on it.
13 And behold, the Lord stood above it and said: “I am the Lord God of Abraham your father and the God of Isaac; the land on which you lie I will give to you and your descendants.
14 Also your descendants shall be as the dust of the earth; you shall spread abroad to the west and the east, to the north and the south; and in you and in your seed all the families of the earth shall be blessed.
15 Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land; for I will not leave you until I have done what I have spoken to you.”
The number of SNP mutations from “J” to “I” is only two…if you are the “J” just loose the SNP M304 and get a new M170 SNP and then you are Y-haplogroup “I”.
We are talking here of only 1 letter (base nucleotide) change in the DNA sequence of 3.3 billion letters (base nucleotides)! 1 letter for each of the two SNP mutations between Y-Haplogroup “J” and “I”.
So it is possible that some of the difference from “J” eight Y-haplogroups that we find among the Jews today may have come from Jacob, while others may be from converts to Judaism throughout the centuries.
Theory # 2, a deeper look:
The most common Y-Haplogroup among the Jews is “J”, so all descendants of Ya’acov are “J”. Actually among the Jews J2 is more common than J1, but it is in J1 that we find most common the so called Cohen model and the only one with the P58 SNP, with more than 50 % of the Cohanim living today possess.
So we will need to take a closer look at the J2 y-chromosome DNA.
There are three things that we all the members of Etz Yoseph can do:
I) Continue to search for the elusive “1 drop of blood of Ya’acov” in each of the eight great grandparent lines that we each have, by testing the STR 37-Y chromosome in the male descendants of each of the eight great grandparents.
II) If you already found the J2 in your ancestors then do the SNP to confirm J2a or J2b while we wait for Family Tree DNA to offer us the deep clade SNP testing for the “J” group.
III) At the same time we can resolve this dilemma if we could extract DNA from Ya’acov and also from one of his sons, Joseph and determine their Y-DNA haplogroup.
Is it possible? There is a precedent as when they extracted the DNA from another mummy, Pharaoh Tutankhamen, who lived over 3,300 years ago.
Just like we know where Tutankhamen was buried as a mummy, we have the place where Ya’acov was buried (Genesis 50:13) embalmed as a mummy (Genesis 50:2) and we have the Biblical reference of these events as well that Joseph was mummified (Genesis 50:26) and brought back to Israel to be buried (Exodus 13:19), (Joshua 24:32)
I asked one of the founder investigators of the Y-chromosome haplogroups to do just what I said before, and he asked me to desist from going that way as the Religious authorities of Israel will not allow this. So I ceased with my plea, but at the end of 2014, as I was riding my bike, I felt I had to review the Holy Scriptures regarding the touching of the dead.
So I did, and this is what the Torah and the Tanach has to say about it.
1) The Levites sons of Aaron are the ones that are told not to touch the dead. (Leviticus 21:1)
2) The person that makes Nazarenes votes, are the ones that during the period of their promise they are not to touch the dead (Numbers 6:6)
3) The regular person that touches the dead goes through a period of purification of 7 days, especially during the 3rd and the 7th day and then afterward that person can be clean again. Numbers 19:11-22
18 A clean person shall take hyssop and dip it in the water, sprinkle it on the tent, on all the vessels, on the persons who were there, or on the one who touched a bone, the slain, the dead, or a grave.
19 The clean person shall sprinkle the unclean on the third day and on the seventh day; and on the seventh day he shall purify himself, wash his clothes, and bathe in water; and at evening he shall be clean.
So it is our second quest in 2015 to request in humbleness from the Government and the Religious authorities of Israel to allow the extraction of DNA from a tooth or a long bone, without damaging the remains of Ya’acov and Joseph, so the Israelites that are dispersed throughout the world, from whom we all might have a drop of blood, can know more about their ancestry and answer the riddle of the 12 tribes of Israel.
… If you agree with the above request, we ask that you pray to the God of Abraham, Isaac and Ya’acov that if this is His Will, to lead you to sign the below petition to be submitted during the Feast of Tabernacles of 2015 to the authorities in Israel. Please write: Your printed name, country, e-mail address and signature.
Name Country E-mail Signature
Inside the tomb of Ya’acov. The Cave of the Patriarchs or the Cave of Machpelah, HEBRON, ISRAEL.
את בריתי יעקב
ואף את בריתי יצחק
ואף את בריתי
Leviticus 26:42 “then I will remember My covenant with Jacob, and My covenant with Isaac and My covenant with Abraham I will remember; I will remember the land”.
Joining Etz Yoseph and doing I or II or III or all of the above, may help to explain the love we all have for the Israeli language, her people, her music, her land etc. Looking forward to hear from each one of you, in Yeshua’s love,
Alex and Georgina Perdomo MD www.etsyoseph.org